Friday, February 26, 2010

Salt Lake City ultimate page

Forgive me, all you loyal readers, if any, and people to whom I was supposed to respond about one thing and another.  I have been sorely distracted, snowboarding for five days with Bruce Morgan and Mark White.  It was tough!  We had to get up at dawn to be on the lift chair when it opened at nine.  Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday we went to Brighton, twenty minutes up to the end of Big Cottonwood Canyon from our motel.  Monday we went to Solitude, just down the canyon from Brighton.  Wednesday we went to Snowbird, a bit further south, in Little Cottonwood Canyon.  We liked Brighton best, as you might guess.  Solitude and Snowbird were a bit steep.  Not as much fun when it is really steep.   

At Snowbird we took the tram (gondola) to the top, where it turned out visibility was really bad and I snowboarded over a lip and broke my board.  In order to get down off the mountain, as Bruce pointed out, it payed off for me being skilled at riding “switch,” that is leading with the other foot, so that the broken tip of the board didn’t get caught in the snow.  I just knew there was a reason to practice riding switch so much, other than to be better than Bruce.  I had to go to REI and buy a new board Wednesday nite because a snowstorm was coming.  I got a Beautiful 159cm K2 called Darkstar.  I got a very good deal on it, because the season is winding down.  

On Thursday we had to put the chains on the car to get to the resort.  There was at least 6" of fresh powder and a lot more in some places.  My new board performed very well!  We saw a white weasel.  It ran across the hard snow and dove under where it was soft, popping up occasionally to look around.

In Utah, to get full-strength beer you need to go to the State Store, so we did.  To pay off my Super Bowl bet I bought Bruce a six of Mirror Pond Ale from  Deschutes Brewing of Bend, Oregon,  Good.  We also had: Thunderhead IPA from Pyramid Brewing of Seattle, Good.  Winterfest Seasonal Ale from Wasatch Beers, Utah Brewers Cooperative, Salt Lake City, not my favorite but 7.1% alcohol.  The Devastator Double Bock, also from Wasatch, 8.0% alcohol.  Good.    Hop Rising Double IPA from Squatters Beers, also of the Utah Brewers Coop, 9.0% alcohol.  Good and Strong!  Squatters IPA.  Also Good.  

Tonight I stay again with Wayne and Colleen, and head for Copper Mountain, Colorado, tomorrow morning.  Should take ten or eleven hours...


No comments:

Post a Comment